
"I see a gentleman here with his little boy. What do you think of the spaceship, son?"
"It's the biggest spaceship I ever saw."
"Ha ha ha."
"And you sir, mind telling us your name?"
"My name is Carpenter."
"Would you care to say a few words, Mr. Carpenter? I suppose you're just as scared as the rest of us."
"In a different way, perhaps. I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason. In fact, I would like--"
"Uh, thank you, Mr. Carpenter. Thank--Thank you very much."
Mr. Carpenter is the 'alien' in the movie, who is amazed at the suspicion and fear people in America have of the unknown. This movie is a great analysis of the American psyche and our lack of trust towards the unknown. Strangers are only strangers because they seem 'strange.' The spaceman eludes the police out of need of freedom which only heightens suspicion and 'security.' The greatest weapon the alien holds is the ability of its machine to dissolve weapons. How destructive/end irony/
-The Day the Earth Stood Still, by Robert Wise
No comments:
Post a Comment